Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Why solve the cube?

It's been 4 years since I learnt solving the cube, frankly I'm really glad that I had been patient to learn how to solve it. As most beginners, I used to feel, if I get some parts of the cube in the right place, maybe the rest of the pieces would just fall into place. How wrong was I?! Back, then I had no idea, that there were videos on the internet that would teach you how to solve the Rubik's cube. I would struggle for hours and end up getting just one side correct, but that would just be the beginning. It used to be frustrating, but I didn't want to give up. I started looking up the internet just to find any clues of how the cube can be solved, and found Lars Petrus's website, where he explained a rather unconventional style of solving the cube, I was making good progress and was close to solving the entire cube, but my patience began to wear thin. That was when I stumbled upon a famous YouTube tutorial at the time on solving the Rubik's cube, made by Dan Brown.


Part 1:



Part 2:


One of my inspirations to solve the cube was this scene of the Pursuit of Happiness (one of my all time faves!). I knew I just had to learn how to solve the cube!


These are my top reasons, why you should solve the cube:

1) It's a challenging puzzle, there's a lot more to it than it seems at first glimpse!
2) It helps improve Spatial Reasoning, one of the aspects in which your brain needs to be trained.
3) If you base your solving methods mostly on Algorithms, it'll improve your memory, and reasoning skills.
4) You'll definitely turn heads.
5) You'll be part of a small percentage of people on the planet who can actually solve the cube, which is roughly 3% at the moment!

2 comments: